Read also: The best V names for a dog
Names for males in L
- Largo : Italian term used in music to designate a tempo. Worn by comic book hero Largo Winch .
- Loco / Loko : “crazy” in Spanish. If your dog has a tendency to display a high-spirited character, this name could suit him perfectly.
- Lennox : name worn by the noble warrior loyal to King Duncan in Shakespeare’s Macbeth , but also by former British boxing champion Lennox Lewis.
- Leo / Léo : in reference to the lion. A good name idea for males of the Chow-Chow and Tibetan Mastiff breeds, for example. Maybe also a nod to Messi for footballers.
- Liam : diminutive of William . First name popular in Ireland and the United Kingdom. One of the celebrities with this first name is actor Liam Neeson.
- Linux : name of an operating system, but also of an asteroid discovered in 1994.
- Looping : aerobatic figure in the shape of a loop.
- Loustic : from the German “lustig” (“funny”, “amusing”).
- Ludo : diminutive of Ludovic.
- Lulu : diminutive of Lucien, Luc, etc.
- Lycos : name of Greek origin carried in particular by a web search engine and various characters from Greek mythology.
Names for females in L
- Lady : Lady, in English.
- Laïla / Layla : first name of oriental origin, very common in the Maghreb and in the Gulf countries.
- Lassie : the famous name worn by the canine heroine of the eponymous series, a female Collie with extraordinary intelligence.
- Laura : common name of Italian and Spanish inspiration.
- Leah : name inspired by a character from Genesis: cousin and first wife of Jacob , daughter of Laban and sister of Rachel .
- Lexy : female counterpart to Lex. A town of Meurthe-et-Moselle, in the Lorraine region, bears this name.
- Lili / Lilly : simple, cute and efficient.
- Lina : diminutive of Angelina .
- Lisa / Liza : diminutive of Elisabeth .
- Lois : first name popularized by the character of Lois Lane in Superman .
- Lola : Spanish first name which, at the base, is the diminutive of Dolores . Also available in Lolita , but the two syllable version is always better for a dog.
- Luna / Louna : in reference to the moon. The first spelling is more correct, but you are free to use the second to be sure of the pronunciation.
Valid for both sexes
- Lancer : pronounced in English, meaning “lancer” or “lance”.
- Lilo : two syllables and as many simple sounds to remember. Worn by Stitch’s friend in Lilo and Stitch.
- Litchi : exotic fruit cultivated in China, India, Vietnam, Madagascar, Thailand, Brazil and even New Caledonia.
- Little : small or small. Will suit both a male puppy and a female belonging to a small breed.
- Loulou : easy to remember with its doubled syllable.